Skip to content Skip to navigation

Neighborhood House

In 1916 a service was established to help the Italian and Sicilian immigrants adjust to life in a new country. Classes were offered in the reading and writing of English, in recreation, music, sewing, scouting and other areas. Neighborhood House quickly became a "home away from home" under the direction of Miss Gay Braxton and her friend, Mary Lee Griggs. The building (shown above) was located at 768 West Washington Avenue. It was destroyed during the 1960's. The New Neighborhood House, with new goals, is located at 29 South Mills Street.