The Mathews arrived in the Greenbush neighborhood in 1923. Their kitchen at 809 Mound Street was small, yet comfortable. The kitchen was much larger when they moved to 617 Milton Street. Later, when they lived in an apartment over Troia's Market at 754 We. Washington Avenue, the kitchen, as well as the rest of the living quarters, was large, very neat, and very comfortable. Wherever Mamie Mathews prepared food, it was always in abundance, especially when making bread and rolls. Other specialties were cakes, apple pies, sweet potato pies and peach cobblers.